Monday, November 11, 2013

I Am Going To Undergo Dialysis Soon. What Am I Facing?

I used to go to a clinic for dialysis. One thing I would suggest to you before you ever go on dialysis is that you arrange to visit the clinic beforehand, so that you will know what to expect. Of course you may choose another option besides dialysis in a clinic.
  I had to have 2 surgeries beforehand, in order to create an access for the dialysis needles, because my first access did not "mature". However, don't assume that will happen to you.
  I went on dialysis at age 45 (I had type 1 diabetes). I went 3 times a week, for about 4 hours a day. I was a pretty compliant patient and I did well on dialysis. I (mostly) stuck to the diet. (I had to avoid things like dark sodas, potatos, and tomatos, for examples). I personally did not have any fluid limits, but patients usually do. I never skipped dialysis sessions.
  My main problem on dialysis was I was bored. Each chair has their own TV, but I don't love TV. Take a lot of things with you to do. Now is a good time to start a class in something that interests you, because you can study while on dialysis. I balanced checkbooks, read magazines, listened to books on CD. One thing I wished I had done more of was gotten to know the patients around me. Take a blanket with you, because you will get cold. If the needle insertion is painful, ask your dr. for a prescription or sample of a cream called EMLA; you put it on your access site before you go to dialysis and it numbs your arm. Don't wear good clothes because you might get blood on them.
  It really won't be terrible, especially if you educate yourself, follow the doctor's orders, and it helps if you have a great dialysis staff. I know that I did.

  I got in pretty good physical shape while I was on dialysis; I could walk 2 miles a day and ran up a small hill as part of my walk. You are fairly young, and I think you will do well. I hope you have the option of being evaluated for a transplant. II got a kidney and pancreas transplant in 2005 and all has been great since then. I have put some sites below


http://www.kidneyservicechina.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment